Thursday, April 5, 2012

Another Trip to Riverbanks Zoo


March 2, 2012
I've loved having our membership to the Riverbanks Zoo in Columbia, South Carolina.  We have really taken advantage of this membership and made several trips over the past year to this beautiful zoo.  I knew my friend, Yen Wen was going to be there (and she's always a good time!) so we decided to join them! 
I always try to get a picture of the kids on the Lion at the entrance, and this is seriously the best picture I could come up with:

Ethan, Madeline, Macy, Lion

 We wanted to see the giraffes pretty early because that's when they're hungry and we LOVE feeding time!
 With our membership we each got bracelets which carried several benefits...normally you would have to pay for each handful of lettuce, but we could get it without paying.  The kids have always loved the job of showing the worker their bracelet:
 Our kids have done this enough times that they hardly hesitate anymore (Macy however is mesmerized by the mama giraffe):

 Madeline is trying to show Molly what to do:
 I didn't know before we got there, but the zoo has a new "high ropes" climbing facility.  It looked terrifying to me, but Madeline and Macy wanted to try it and there was no way Yen Wen was getting up there with them, so for the sake of adventure, I suited up and took the kids.  Meanwhile, Ethan and Molly chatted for a bit:
 The fact that we needed the harnesses was enough to make me want to turn around... or maybe it was the waiver?  But anything for my baby girl:
 So me, Madeline and Macy got into our harnesses and then headed up the steps.  But that's as far as Madeline made it and she was begging to go back down (as was I):
 So I sent Madeline down and continued along with the oh-so-fearless Macy.  Yen Wen took many pictures of us up here and in just about everyone I am holding onto something for dear life!  In the following picture, this is where we stood for a loooong time because I was too scared to move.  Macy would say, "it's ok, I'll help you.  Let's go."  And I'd say, "No."   :)  Finally we made it through the obstacle.  I would have hated every second of it except it was so neat to see how brave and balanced little tiny Macy was on this course!  The girl rocked!
 The final leg before we headed back down the steps:
 My sweet girl encouraging us:
 We're alive!!!!

Now for a relaxing train ride!

 Ethan rode a pony, but didn't want to show off:
 Madeline on the other hand was calling out to me, "Mom!!  Look!! Take a picture!!"
 Ok, the next thing goes down as one of the funniest things I've ever experienced in my life.  As I'm typing this I'm awaiting approval to post it on my blog :)   The Zoo has a bid exhibit in which you can take some nectar into their caged area and let them eat from it.  I figured that since Yen Wen had a membership, she was aware of what happened.  I was wrong.  Anyway, we all (me, Madeline, Ethan, Caden, Yen Wen, Anna and Macy) and we entered the bird cage.  And naturally a bunch of birds head straight for us to sit near or on us (usually the hand) to eat the nectar.  Well, all the kids panicked slightly as they usually do, so I had them give me their nectar or sit it on the ground.  While I had about 18 birds on me and 5 kids surrounding me, I heard a scream and looked over to see this:
 Instantly I was laughing hysterically.  I'd never seem them sit on someone's head before!  And of all people!!!!!! Yen Wen didn't seem too fond of the streams of tears I had running down my face from laughing so hard and she got upset that I wasn't helping her.  How am I suppose to help her when I have 18 birds on me and 5 kids around me AND I NEED TO SNAP SOME PICTURES!!!  sheesh!  (there are several other and even funnier pictures, but I'll be (somewhat) nice).  So after some one handed crazy shots, I told one of the ladies that worked there that she needed help.  The scene below is mild compared to the number of birds I had on me when the one flew on Yen Wen's head:

Ethan was happy that another boy was there!
 Madeline spent a LOT of time at this rock wall and hardly made it up but a few inches.  She kept changing spots to climb up thinking each one would be easier.  She watched Macy climb up high on different sections and even the coconut tree and it seemed to motivate her to make it up higher.  She seriously worked on this thing for probably 30 minutes while the other kids played at the playground right next to it.  Finally, at the last minute, she started climbing and made it pretty high!!  So proud of her!
 Always a favorite:

No comments:

Post a Comment