Every year since we moved to Georgia, Doug has planted some sort of vegetable from seeds, in a pot. He would generally get several fruits, but nothing substantial. I've wanted a nice, large vegetable/fruit garden in our backyard for a few years, so we decided this would be the year we put more effort into it and tried to do it right.
The boys prepared the yard for the bed:
And ta-da!! This was prepared in the first week of February...then we waited:
We were going to order our plants from Burpee so that we were sure to get what was appropriate for our area and receive it when it's supposed to be planted..plus they are guaranteed. However, I was blown away when I called to order and they said they didn't ship vegetables to our area! Gasp!! I seriously thought the lady was joking with me. But because Georgia won't allow plants that aren't treated, they couldn't send them. Plan B...seeds for the veggies (but I still ordered strawberry and raspberry plants). The first week of March we made a visit to the garden store and the kids each picked out 3 packs of seeds (top row Ethan, bottom row-Madeline):
We planted everything in little containers and kept them inside until a few weeks ago when Doug started putting things in their permanent containers. We also picked up many plants from Lowes to put in the garden. We're anxious to see how the plants that started from seeds for us turns out. The following pictures were taken today.
The whiskey barrel has the herbs:
And here is everything else:
We can't wait until we can start eating out of our backyard!!! Doug makes the best salsa and it will be so nice when I can snap my fingers for some salsa and we can walk out back and grab our ingredients to make "fresh" homemade salsa :)
No comments:
Post a Comment