The Real Adventures of Homeschooling.
Madeline had eyed up a lunch box at the grocery store that matched a water bottle she had. We decided that after public school started here, we'd go back to the stores and see if it was on sale...and sure enough! Got a great deal and Daddy was so excited to give it to her the night before her first day of Classical Conversations' Co-Op:
They had one that matched Ethan's water bottle too, and he'd be going to school with us, so why not!August 21, 2012
All ready for the first day!
Madeline's friend of the past 4+ years, Mariah, will be attending the same co-op (although not in the same class). Easy to tell which was is a little nervous and which is ready to get started!
Doug and I had contemplated the idea of homeschooling once Madeline hit Kindergarten age, but we were both apprehensive. Such a huge decision with significant effects. We kept waiting for that huge"ah ha" moment that made us feel comfortable with a decision one way or the other. One day towards the end of last school year, I was at the park with the kids when an older lady began asking me about Madeline (ok, to be honest, she was telling me how beautiful she was). She began asking me about her schooling, which has been common for years since most people think she's 2 years older than she is (just based on first impressions, size). I mentioned we tossed around the idea of homeschooling and somehow mentioned recently reading up on Classical Conversations (CC). Well, with the small world it is, she immediately introduced me to one of her daughters that was also at the park. This girl is basically the co-director of one of the CC communities in our area. She welcomed our family to come attend one of their co-op sessions, and so, the following week we did. And that was that. Doug and I fell in love immediately. Doug had to sneak out early and run off to work so I didn't realize how much he loved it until he came home and asked where to sign. That was pretty much the day we decided we would homeschool. I always felt like if I did homeschool, I definitely needed to be a part of co-ops. I knew it was not something I could do on my own (although I know other's that do it just fine). We wanted some classroom opportunities for our children, some time to learn and grow with each other, some time to learn from someone with a different teaching style, voice, excitement...whatever it might be. This co-op would be a strong start and we couldn't be happier. Of course, we provide other curriculum as well. I love our Math program, Saxon, and so does Madeline AND Ethan!! Didn't plan on including Ethan when I taught Madeline Math, but many days it's like I'd have to fight him off with a stick to keep him away from the lesson. So he joins in...and picks up a bit :) We also work on handwriting and a Phonics Program. That's what I do at home right now, but the homeschool community here is huge and growing so there are so many options out there for supplemental lessons I can take the kids to...and I do...and love it :)
Here's Madeline on her first day. They always start with "presentations" and she's basically just introducing herself. I LOVE her teacher!!! I have to admit, I was a little worried that Madeline would end up with a tutor that I just didn't jive with, but Mrs. Miranda is wonderful. She's actually only tutoring for the first few months and then another wonderful Mom (who recently had a baby) will be taking over for the remainder of the year. Miranda and I are due one day apart...kind of neat! Here's Madeline presenting Madeline:
Geography:
Art (the first few weeks Ethan stayed in the room with us and was able to participate a bit. It's amazing what he's already picking up! The past couple weeks he's surprisingly gone willingly to the childcare. Although I'd like him to have the classroom exposure, it is nice to be able to focus on the lessons, and pick up ideas on how to teach Madeline that week's memory work.
We love the playground they have!!!
The next week one of the options for presentations was to talk about a favorite vacation. Madeline didn't hesitate...she HAD to talk about Disney!!
We love how fun learning can be!!!
It's a big deal to get to wipe off the white board
Science: making predictions
Placing the name card next to their predictions:
Experiment:
Another Art lesson:
To our surprise, one of the teachers who has been doing CC for several years and was once a Science teacher, offered to to additional science lessons/activities after lunch/play time. Both kids now stay for an additional hour or so for Science and History (taught by the Grandmother of another student)
So thrilled (and exhausted) with the experience so far. More to come...
*** Oh, by the way, many moms asked for pictures to be taken so that a Yearbook can be put together...so I don't have to be sneaky with my camera :) it's actually welcomed.
No comments:
Post a Comment